A free messaging app available for smartphone users
WhatsApp messenger is a messaging utility which allows users to communicate via voice call, voice message, text message, and video call over WiFi or cellular data. What separates WhatsApp from other messenger utilities is that it uses your phone number to identify you and uses a minimal of bandwidth to send its communications. Users may often find that a WhatsApp call to a phone number over a cellular connection is even more clear than a regular cellular phone call, depending on your carrier. Furthermore, WhatsApp can communicate internationally with phone numbers and users from other countries without charging international calling fees.
WhatsApp messenger is becoming more popular every day, with millions of users using this app to communicate clearly across every ocean and border. The latest version supports end-to-end encryption (set by default) to protect your messages and calls from prying eyes as well as easy user grouping. Easily create groups centered on different social activities or settings--a group for school contacts, a group for soccer buddies, etc. You can easily find out who in your contact list is already using WhatsApp messenger and connect with them If your phone number changes, even to an international number while traveling abroad, your contacts and groups will be automatically updated with your new number.
- Entirely free and widely used messenger platform.
- Supports Android and iOS.
- Supports audio calling, video calling, voice message, text, GIF, photo, document upload, location sharing, and more.
- Supports easy calling to international numbers.
- Provides a stable connection while using a minimum of data.
- Supports end-to-end encryption to protect your calls and messages.
- Supports easy user grouping and group chat.
- Uses your native phone number and automatically updates your groups and threads if your number changes.
- Not all of your friends may have WhatsApp messenger installed yet.
• Play videos right away without waiting for them to download first. Videos will still be downloaded to your phone as the video is playing. (Android 4.1+ and only works with videos sent from the latest version of the Android app)
• Introducing WhatsApp video calling. With free video calls, you can have face-to-face chats with your friends and family around the world. Data charges may apply. (requires Android 4.1+)
• You can now send and receive animated GIFs
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECEIVE_SMS: Allows an application to receive SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- SEND_SMS: Allows an application to send SMS messages.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BROADCAST_STICKY: Allows an application to broadcast sticky intents. These are broadcasts whose data is held by the system after being finished, so that clients can quickly retrieve that data without having to wait for the next broadcast.
- CHANGE_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to change Wi-Fi connectivity state.
- GET_TASKS: This constant was deprecated in API level 21. No longer enforced.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- READ_SYNC_STATS: Allows applications to read the sync stats.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT: This permission is no longer supported.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SETTINGS: Allows an application to read or write the system settings.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.